My dog is always urinating and ALWAYS hungry..

My dog is always urinating and ALWAYS hungry..

Postby Reaperjim » 09 Jan 2006, 17:46

I have two problems with my dog, Brownie. First, is that he is always urinating. Even after a walk and even considering the fact that he knows his designated place to urinate (on some newspapers), he still urinates by the sofa and somehow (I don't have any idea how he does it) urinates just under the sofa. This in itself is not the main problem. The main problem is that the urine is bright yellow and really smells.

The second problem, which actually exists with both my dogs (both male), is that they are always hungry. Even just after a meal they will sit watching me eat a pack of potato chips, drooling all over the floor. This seems abnormal. When its time for dinner, Brownie goes crazy, walks round in circles, falls over in the rush to eat. About 4 weeks ago he ran into a window and broke it. He was lucky not to be hurt.

Does anyone have any advice before I take them to the vet? I thought the urinating was down to the Alpha-Male issue with having 2 male dogs, but I just don't nkow...
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

welcome to my world

Postby Battery9 » 09 Jan 2006, 17:56

next time the dog pees, try to catch some of it (in a bowl or whatever) and take it to the vet. They can check very quickly if something is wrong...

I have the same eating problem with Sambuka..I once bought those self-feeders, that fill up as the dog eats...and she ate a WHOLE bag of food in 10 minutes ( I just ran to 7-11) And then she was so fat she couldnt walk, so she puked, and wanted to eat that too!

I will give her food when we eat, to make sure shes not jumping into my mouth while I eat..but she gulps it up in 2 seconds, and is waiting by the couch where I eat before I get a chance to eat. ANd then she starts drooling so badly that she also starts gagging from it. I even bought these things at a vet that is supposed to make them feel full, but she doesn't seem to care at all.

I give her bones too, but they scare me, because its gone before she even starts chewing....
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 11 Jan 2006, 10:13

If the "Alpha male" thing is part of the problem then getting them fixed should help, no?
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

13 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Been to the vet...

Postby Reaperjim » 11 Jan 2006, 14:17

Apparently (or so the vet says), the Alpha male problem is normal when having 2 male dogs of similar age. They are at that age where they try to be dominant, and every time the dogs pee, we clean it up and they just pee again to re-mark their territory. It doesn't just stop at peeing, though. It even extends to competitiveness for food. Brownie doesnt like chocolate, but he will eat it if he thinks we will give it to Gizmo. When they fight over food its downright scary. Gizmo almost lost an ear last month. There was blood everywhere, and it started because Brownie was sniffing garbage and Gizmo tried to do it, too. Another time Brownie tried to tear out Gizmo's throat over an apple core. It's crazy. Does anyone else think its a bad idea to have 2 young male dogs? I am starting to think so.
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 11 Jan 2006, 14:24

I don't know what I'm talking about, but might it be diabetes? That would explain both the increased urination and hunger.

The principal clinical signs of an animal with diabetes mellitus are therefore polyuria (excessive urination) and polydipsia (excessive water consumption). In addition, diabetic animals tend to lose weight because they breakdown stores of fat and protein (muscle) to make glucose and ketones (an alternative fuel) in the liver. Other clinical signs diabetics may include: cataracts, polyphagia (increased appetite), ...
Source: http://www.caninediabetes.org/caninediabetespg.html
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Re: Been to the vet...

Postby Jive Turkey » 11 Jan 2006, 14:37

Reaperjim wrote:Brownie doesnt like chocolate, but he will eat it if he thinks we will give it to Gizmo.

Reaper Jim, this is off your topic, but chocolate is pretty much poison for dogs. Some can get away with eating a bit, but it is very bad for them and can lead to immediate kydney failure. Some dogs will die within a couple of hours of eating just a bit of the stuff. It would be best to skip that treat even if one of them does seem to like it. It may actually be the chocolate that's making your dog pee a lot. He may have lost some function for some parts of his plumbing.

We don't have two males, but we still feed ours seperately to reduce the chances for competition between them. Maybe that might help.
Jive Turkey
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 11 Jan 2006, 14:42

Good point, Jive Turkey. I checked and found this:

If you witness your dog eating chocolate or if it shows any signs of chocolate toxicity (anxiety, pacing, hyperexcitability, excessive thirst and urination, vomiting, or seizures): call your vet immediately and tell him or her what type of chocolate your dog ate, how much you think it ate, how long ago it indulged itself, and how much your dog weighs.

Source: http://www.cah.com/dr_library/chocpois.html
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Re: Been to the vet...

Postby Mordeth » 11 Jan 2006, 15:01

Reaperjim wrote: Does anyone else think its a bad idea to have 2 young male dogs? I am starting to think so.

Shit....I think having one male dog is a bad idea. Taiwanese people much prefer male dogs over female.....even though they are more problematic and less well behaved than females :loco: . Not to mention disgusting....I love it when I stop to pet a stray male dog and his sticky wet red thing comes out to great me... :noway: :help: .

But back on topic. Yeah, chocolate is death to many dogs as stated above. And it seems like you should put their food in separate rooms and once you put the food in the bowl close the door so the dog can eat undisturbed by the other dog.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

13 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 11 Jan 2006, 15:37

I love it when I stop to pet a stray male dog and his sticky wet red thing comes out to great me...

You should stick to stroking their heads.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby smell the glove » 11 Jan 2006, 16:13

sandman wrote:
I love it when I stop to pet a stray male dog and his sticky wet red thing comes out to great me...

You should stick to stroking their heads.

Agreed. By all means, please stop shaking his tongue.
Forumosan avatar
smell the glove
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals