Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Dick Cheney shoots man

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderator: Mick

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Postby trebuchet » 24 Feb 2006, 12:46

You people are still talking about this?

CHENEY-GATE!
CHENEY-GATE!1111

Never Forget!! :banana:
Those are Vancouver police in my avatar. Can anybody tell me what kind of machine guns they are carrying? Are those M-16's or AK-47's?
trebuchet
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby twocs » 27 Feb 2006, 22:18

The quote in the latest issue of Newsweek, which devoted 13 pages to Dick Cheney really rings true to me.
Newsweek gave the story 13 pages, claiming that Cheney is "one of the most secretive and mysterious public officials to ever hold such high office in America. He is caricatured as a Darth Vader, spooky, above the law; nefarious." and "Guessing at the causes of his darkening persona is a favorite Washington pastime."

And as the Darth Vader of the Bush Empire, Cheney has access to the Dark Side of the Force. Since the beginning of the Bush II administration, Dick Cheney has favored measures allowing the executive branch to keep more things secret. And in March 2003, the president gave him the authority to do it. :twisted: Can Lord Vader keep confidential all of his doings?
“You cut taxes and the tax revenues increase.” — President Bush, February 8, 2006
On the Ineffectiveness of Tax Policy in Altering Long-run Growth. Journal of Public Economics. 66(1) 99-126

'''____'''__'''__'___''''''''
....(_.`_)\/\/')`\/.'_)'__).....
'''''''''|.|\.'`.`/()'\'(_\_`)''''''''
.......\_)'\/\/\__/\__)_/........
""""""""""""""""""""""
twocs
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Vay » 01 Mar 2006, 10:23

What makes this case important isn't really the shooting itself. Accidents happen, and I'm certain Cheney -- indifferent as he is to the cruelty and murder committed in order to enforce his government's policies -- wouldn't feel great about shooting one of his own corporate/big government alliance cronies.

What is disgusting to me, however, is that while the Republican mouthpieces like Limbaugh and Coulter rant on and on about the importance of values like character and straight talking, their representatives' behavior shows anything but. It took Cheney nearly a week to finally come out and take responsibility for the shooting, and only after the initial Whitehouse attempt to blame the victim, in turn after the even more initial cover-up, had drawn such criticism.

Texan journalist Robert Bryce puts it this way:
...there was a very good piece in the Austin American-Statesman yesterday by Mike Leggett, who's their hunting or outdoors reporter. And, I mean, he just went right after Cheney, and he ended his piece by saying to Cheney, he said,
Journalist: Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?

Cigarette executive: No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements.
Vay
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby TainanCowboy » 01 Mar 2006, 11:42

Its good you people have something to occupy your time...otherwise who knows what mischief you'd be getting in to. :D

<insert tin-foil hat pic>
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby mofangongren » 01 Mar 2006, 16:00

With 18 percent of Americans still seeing the vice president favorably, perhaps he can count on them to march on the offices of the myriad newspapers that have reported this incident.

Of course, beyond not taking responsibility, how about the lies? Cheney ain't telling the truth about the distance at which he shot Whittington -- it was a hell of a lot less than 90 feet at which he shot Whittington in the face and heart. Good wholesome fun to watch it demonstrated step by step how nearly every bit of Cheney's story falls apart. See this site for another test of Cheney's chosen weapon.

One can tell a lot about this administration through Cheney's actions: After shooting a man in the face, heart, liver, lung, etc., Cheney didn't even bother accompany the man he'd shot to the hospital. Cheney simply sat down and, with perhaps ice water running through his veins, had himself a big dinner.
"As to your first question, that would be murder in some degree. As to your second, there are no laws in this state regarding the unlicensed practice of taxidermy or puppetry."
mofangongren
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Vay » 01 Mar 2006, 16:22

Its good you people have something to occupy your time...otherwise who knows what mischief you'd be getting in to.

Two things:

First, are you challenging any part of what I said?

Do you deny that Republican mouthpieces sell this whole 'traditional valued straight-talking rugged individualist' vs 'pinko atheist America-hating chicken-shit' propoganda to the lower middle-class Christians -- their most important voting base (who, ironically, are quite ill-served by the Repubs' actual rich and corporation-serving policies)? Do you deny that many, many Republican big-wigs, Cheney among them, have shown utterly reprehensible character -- and that this demonstrates outright hypocrisy or deception on the part of Republican propogandists?

Second, the current administration has shown itself to be incompetent, corrupt, and absolutely indifferent to either American or international laws. It has conducted an illegal war based on lies. It has used chemical weapons against enemy combatants. It has tortured enemy combatants and illegally imprisoned non-combatants. It has demonstrated either total apathy or total ineptitude in handling a huge national disaster. It has seen scandal after scandal in which the tax-payers are bilked, all the while giving tax breaks to the rich and pouring money into the war machine. It has conducted Nixon-esque warrantless wiretaps. It has worked towards the overthrow of democratically-elected representatives of foreign governments in the Caribean and South America, to insure that the profits from their resources go to US corporations rather than the people of those countries (Haiti is a prime example). It has allied itself with dictators every bit as repulsive as those it overthrew in Iraq, and its actions in Iraq have been in many cases as bad as his.

And you say we're capable of mischief??? :loco:
Journalist: Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?

Cigarette executive: No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements.
Vay

Postby TainanCowboy » 01 Mar 2006, 17:09

Vay -
Yeah...
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
------
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby ScottSommers » 02 Mar 2006, 12:42

TC, I've never seen you short on words, even for the most obnoxious comments. I guess it really is hard these days to defend the Republicans.
Becoming Taiwan: From Colonialism to Democracy, by Ann Heylen and Scott Sommers is now available on Google Books http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Taiwan-Colonialism-Democracy-Formosiana/dp/3447063742

"Who Still Believes in 9/11 Conspiracies? An Empirical Study on Political Affiliation and Conspiratorial Thinking," by Scott Sommers
The Skeptic Magazine, Volume 16 Number 2
available here

comments about 9/11 conspiracy on the Independent Sentinel
available here
ScottSommers
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby TainanCowboy » 02 Mar 2006, 12:51

ScottSommers wrote:TC, I've never seen you short on words, even for the most obnoxious comments. I guess it really is hard these days to defend the Republicans.

pig
teach
sing
time
waste
annoy
pig

props to JDS for the posting style
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
------
------
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby politbureau » 02 Mar 2006, 12:54

TainanCowboy wrote:
ScottSommers wrote:TC, I've never seen you short on words, even for the most obnoxious comments. I guess it really is hard these days to defend the Republicans.

pig
teach
sing
time
waste
annoy
pig

props to JDS for the posting style

The solution to today's anagram is "You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear."
:)
politbureau
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to International Politics