Scooter Maintenance Intervals

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Scooter Maintenance Intervals

Postby Dragonbones » 10 Mar 2006, 15:21

I take my scooter in to change the oil every time the indicator turns red, but am not sure what other things (e.g., oil or air filters) need changing, and at what intervals. Any recommendations?
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
38 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 12 Mar 2006, 23:09

Dragonbones wrote:I take my scooter in to change the oil every time the indicator turns red, but am not sure what other things (e.g., oil or air filters) need changing, and at what intervals. Any recommendations?
Tyre pressures at least every 1000km. Transmission oil every few thousand km. Clean or replace air filter every few thousand km. Spark plug the same.

Oil filter not relevant if a 2-stroke bike. If a 4-stroke then every few thousand km.

Occasional cleaning of carburettor not a bad idea. Fuel filter too? Can't say I get my drive belt tension checked very often but the info below suggests it's worth it from time to time.

Things like disc brake fluid and valve clearances maybe once a year.

Other stuff like new tyres as and when needed. Basically keep an eye on stuff like cables, wheel and steering bearings etc.

Salvatore Armani posted some useful info from his scooter's service manual.
Salvatore Armani wrote:My wife and I have a new SYM 125. Between my intuition regarding the pictures of the mechanical things and her translation of the words in the manual, we came up with a basic set of service intervals for this machine, which would probably apply to other 125cc four strokes as well.

Every 1000km:
1) Engine oil change. Oil changes are quick and they're cheap as chips. At the the place in Siaogang (Kaohsiung) where our family buys it's bikes, the cost is $120.
2) inspect tires for damage

Every 3000km:
1) Inspect/replace air filter. This machine uses a hand-washable type of filter.
2) Check spark plug gap.
3) Check/adjust throttle cable tension.
4) Check telescoping front forks for leakage, check rear shock for leakage

Every 5,000km:
1) Change transmission oil. Again, easy and cheap

Every 6,000km:
1) Change fuel filter.
2)Check drive belt tension.
3) Replace spark plug.

Every 12,000km
1) Replace drive belt.

This model has drum brakes, and there is no mileage interval for brake adjustments, just a specification for maximum brake lever travel: 20mm. So if you can squeeze the levers farther than that, tighten up the brake adjusters.
-p

I'm making this into the new scooter maintenance intervals sticky thread. The old thread was sprawling and there were some inaccuracies, not least those posted by me. So I've de-stickied that and I'm stickying this.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ironfist » 26 Aug 2007, 04:41

useful thread
ironfist
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recommends(s)

Re: Scooter Maintenance Intervals

Postby Yossarian Lives » 11 May 2009, 10:33

To prevent newbies like myself from getting ripped off, it would be much appreciated if someone could post what the average cost of these repairs are.
Yossarian Lives
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby GRC22 » 23 Oct 2009, 21:14

Every 5,000km:
1) Change transmission oil. Again, easy and cheap

Is transmission oil the same as "gear oil" The "gear oil" comes in a tube with a long nozzle already attached to it. It is more like a lubricant substance than an oil base.

I have a 1 year old kymco 125. Done 8000km.

Originally, my mechanic told me to change the "gear oil" twice a year.

Now, he tells me it needs to be replaced every second oil change (every 2000km).

How often do you change the transmission/gear oil in your scooter?

I've also been told that if you don't ask a mechanic to change the transmission oil/gear oil, the majority of mechanics won't volunteer to check it for you. Apparently, good for repeat business when the engine just suddenly "konks out".
GRC22
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby nazmikarakoc » 26 Oct 2009, 10:01

The transmission or gear oil replacement interval in my Kymco's manual is 300km, 2000km, 5000km, 10000km, 15000km.....

If you don't ask for anything, they will just change the oil and in best case check tire pressure and let you go.

I ask for everything and hard time to find someone to do all the things listed in the manual.

Now i start cleaning the air filter , check suspensions and brakes every 1000km by myself.

Coming close to 3000km I am going to start changing the oil also.

The transmission oil is not too hard to change, i watch them do it 2 times already and it takes 2 tubes of gear oil with long nose

Oil change $150 for cheap Kymco oil, $250 for better stuff.
gear oil change $200
Forumosan avatar
nazmikarakoc
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

What should be done in a Scooter service every 6000k

Postby irishmoe » 16 Jul 2010, 15:09

I get my oil changed every 1000km which is easy peasy but what do I need to get done every 6000km? I used to go to this place where the guy changed some extra stuff at the 6k mark. He did the job and I coughed up 600nt but now I have to change guys as that place is just too far now. So what should I be asking to get done. Zhongwen would be much appreciated :)
Copywriting,Web content, Link building, and Chinese to English translation services at Gecko Create

Built my first site Chelsea Dental Clinic
irishmoe
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby redwagon » 16 Jul 2010, 15:23

Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby irishmoe » 16 Jul 2010, 15:31

redwagon wrote:Image

Sorry I'm a dope. I searched for service and servicing!! Damn those British invaders who taught me to speak their language thus enabling me to work here... oh right
Copywriting,Web content, Link building, and Chinese to English translation services at Gecko Create

Built my first site Chelsea Dental Clinic
irishmoe

Postby Ed en Vadrouille » 28 Jan 2011, 18:51

I've changed a few things on my scooters, and thought I'd contribute. I ride over 1000km per month, so my machines wear off quickly.
I'm putting this smiley :ponder: when I'm not 100% certain of the price. It means it's roughly in that area, but not EXACTLY that.

Duke 125c
Rear shock: 800NT$
Battery: Around 800 :ponder:
Belt: 300-400 :ponder:
Exhaust: 800
Tire: 800
Rebuilding the engine (new cylinder, piston, rings): 3500 :ponder:
Changing brake cable "housing" (not sure how to call this, it's basically the tube that the cable sits in): 250
Brake pads (drum brakes): 250 :ponder:
New front suspension: got quoted over 3000

PGO G-Max 200 (More expensive)
Disc brake pads: 400
Belt: 800 :ponder:
Rear wheel: 1200 :ponder:
Installing HID lamp: 500
Oil change: 250. This is the medium range oil. I use it for long trips on the previous scooter, and all the time on this one.
Gear oil change: 50 (not sure why you guys pay so much more for it)
Battery change: 1000
New saddle: 800
Putting on new horns (doesn't include the horns): 100
Rear mud fender (the lower one): 300

These prices are from old style "mom and pop" shop. Not the fancy shiny type of shop where they charge more.
Forumosan avatar
Ed en Vadrouille

Location: Nice, Brighton, Mumbai, Tainan, Taipei... it depends
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Cars & Motorcycles