Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taiwan owls?

Taiwan owls?

Postby Lo Bo To » 14 Apr 2006, 02:07

I was at the park late at night with my dog a couple of weeks ago.

I heard a bird that sounded like an owl.

Has anyone seen any owls here?

Collared Owlet

Collared Owl

Spotted Scops Owl

May have been one of these
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby brianlkennedy » 14 Apr 2006, 06:04

Yeah, a fairly big one too. He/she had to be about 10 inches tall. I could tell because I was looking at it from about 3 feet away. This was about a year back at the Shilin Courthouse. The classroom is up on the 4th floor and there are some trees surrounding the building. And as luck would have it the Courthouse Owl was in a tree directly outside the windown of the classroom.

All during class (which was over the long lunch hour) people who were not in the class nonetheless "snuck in" to check out the owl including a number of prosecutors who had to have a photo of it.
brianlkennedy
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Mordeth » 14 Apr 2006, 12:10

My brother got hit in the chest by an owl while on his motorbike...knocked him clear off the bike.
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

Postby sandman » 14 Apr 2006, 12:13

Aren't they cool? The little scops owls are fairly common here and often let you get pretty close, but there are probably a dozen or species found here. I'll check my bird book tonight.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Mucha Man » 14 Apr 2006, 12:43

I hear one most nights when I walk around the university ring-road in Muzha. Haven't seen him yet but he's always in the same area.
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Lo Bo To » 14 Apr 2006, 13:54

Formosan mountain scops owl

Lanyu (Orchid) Island

What gorgeous creatures.

Sandman. Did you say you have a book about birds in Taiwan?

If so where did you get it and how much was it?
Lo Bo To

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 14 Apr 2006, 13:59

I did and I do. I put a pic of the cover on Forumosa some time ago but can't find it anymore. It wasn't expensive and it's very useful indeed. It's a small field guide with colour plates of the birds, distribution maps for each one, Chinese name, Linnean name, English name and a brief description in Chinese. You can get it at Eslite or someplace like that, I'm sure.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Little Yellow Dog » 14 Apr 2006, 21:39

I saw one in the park about 8 months ago. It was perched on a wire. I watched it, and it watched me for about 5 minutes. Very cool indeed. Seeing a bird like that in a fairly urban area gave me hope. Maybe we haven't screwed things up too badly...yet... But then again, if it likes to eat rodents and whatnot, maybe it should be hanging 'round the night market. :D
Little Yellow Dog
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Lo Bo To » 14 Apr 2006, 22:57

I was on an island in the North of Malaysia eating dinner a few years back. I was eating at a picnic table under a tree. All of a sudden my friend had a really shocked expression on his face as he looked up in the tree.

I look up and there was a huge owl perched on a branch just a few meters from us just staring at us. This thing was maybe 60cm tall. Gorgeous animal. It actually scared the hell out of me cause I didn't know it was there.

I really want to see one here. Time for a trip to Lanyu (Orchid island).
Lo Bo To

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Richardm » 14 Apr 2006, 23:41

I was driving down from Yangming Shan last week. I don't remember exactly where, but there was a sign that said, "Owl crossing". I thought it was a little strange.
Richardm
"Drinks for the House!"

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals