Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

South Africans: Read this please: Taking pet to South Africa

South Africans: Read this please: Taking pet to South Africa

Postby trapjaw » 22 Apr 2006, 00:25

***Mods, before you move this to the Exporting Pets out of Taiwan sticky thread, please note that the vast majority of the information in that particular thread is about taking a pet to North America, which is, I have discovered, very different from taking a pet to South Africa.***

Maybe you could make this one a sticky?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found a tiny stray kitten in the street a few months ago. It was terribly skinny and covered with fleas, and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but I couldn't just leave it there. I got it cleaned up, (and fattened up :wink:) , and she's a lot healthier looking now, and quite an affectionate, not to mention playful little thing. I've fostered a few strays here, and it's always been heartbreaking to part with them when it was time to send them to a permanent home. This time i just couldn't do it - so I decided that I was going to keep this one. I'm going home in July, and as such have started to look into how things are done getting a pet into South Africa.

Unfortunately, the process is far, far more complicated and costly than it seems to be to take a pet to Canada or the US.

I looked at a few government websites, and it turns out that you CANNOT bring a pet into South Africa as manifest (booked) cargo, NOT hand luggage or excess luggage. If you do that, the animal will be denied entry and sent back to the country of origin. This means that the airline fee will be pretty steep for the animal.

Dogs require a quarantine period of 3 weeks, cats require a quarantine period of 14 days.

Dogs and cats need to be vaccinated against rabies before they enter the country, and MUST be microchipped.

A variety of import and quarantine papers, requiring a notice period of 5-8 weeks prior to departure are needed. F**cking beauracracy.

I contacted a pet shipping company in South Africa who handle all of this. they quoted me around NT20,000. :noway: :help:
On top of this, that's ONLY for the SA side of things... They said I will also need to get hold of an agent over here (in Taiwan) to organise for the pet to be transported out of Taiwan. More $$, more hassle.

Then, there is the additional problem of the fact that there are no direct flights to SA from Taiwan; all require inter-airline transfers. And most airlines seem to have very different policies about the transporting of pets.

:help: :snivel:

I really don't know what I can do, short of finding my poor kitten a new home here...

If any South Africans here have had a different experience, please let me know ASAP.
check out my e-novels and my blog here: www.jonmh.com
trapjaw
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby bobepine » 22 Apr 2006, 01:23

This time I just couldn't do it - so I decided that I was going to keep this one.
What a lucky kitty that is. :) I knew one of them would grow on you sooner or later.

Sorry, I can't help much but I know one thing for sure, that cat has found the perfect home.

I wish you both the best.

bobepine
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby geotpe » 22 Apr 2006, 14:31

Sorry, I cannot be of much help either. But if this is not the one you tried, maybe you can look into this company: www.globalpaws.co.za

And if you find out anything, let the rest of us know.
geotpe
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby trapjaw » 22 Apr 2006, 20:48

Yes, I got that information from globalpaws.co.za. I'm gonna try a few other pet agencies too, see if I can get anything else.

It's pretty crazy... Really not looking good at the moment... :(
trapjaw

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ma Ke » 22 Apr 2006, 20:54

Are Schonken and Johann participants in this thread? How about Obie? They have been back and forth with different pets, maybe they could help. Been here a long time, maybe they have some info. Good guys!
Ma Ke
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

yup

Postby Battery9 » 26 Apr 2006, 19:19

Friends of mine had to go through exactly the same hassle.....NT$ 20 000, papers, chips etc etc later and the cat ran away the day after they landed....never to be seen again.
Battery9

Postby trapjaw » 26 Apr 2006, 22:21

I've sent off requests for quotes to about 5 different pet agencies in South Africa. The latest one was half of the previous quote (just over NT10,000), which sounds much more reasonable. All the charges are accounted for in that figure.

However, Taiwan seems to be regarded as a "bird flu risk zone" by the powers that be in SA, so that means that the cat would have to spend 2 weeks in quarantine. :fume:

On top of that, however, there is still the actual air freight charge of shipping the cat, as well as whatever vet fees I would need to pay to get the cat chipped, and have a rabies shot.

I have no idea how much the freight charge would be. Anyone have any idea?

:fume: I can't believe South Africa has such utterly ridiculous rules for bringing in pets... Why in God's name they require animals to be transported as manifest cargo, I have no idea...
trapjaw

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby trapjaw » 26 Apr 2006, 23:52

That last quote (about NT10,000) was from http://www.animaltravel.co.za by the way. They replied to my request for a quote in less than 24 hours, and seem to know exactly what they're doing. Now I need to find out how much freight charges would cost... :( [/url]
trapjaw

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Kahna » 04 Jun 2006, 17:16

Any updates on how this has all turned out?
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna

Postby trapjaw » 04 Jun 2006, 23:18

Yeah, I'm just waiting until the whole process is totally done before posting all the details (because then they can be verified as correct).

I have gone with animaltravel.co.za. They've been pretty helpful throughout the whole procedure. I've had the rabies shot done, and a microchip inserted by a local vet. This procedure cost NT1500 (registration costs). You need your passport when you do this, as your passport number is required to complete the registration form.

IMPORTANT
Get the rabies shot and microchip done at least 31 days BEFORE you go to take the cat TO THE TAIWAN STATE VET, who will sign the Health Paper (emailed to you by the agency, which you print out yourself), so that's about 41 days before the cat's actual departure date.

ALSO IMPORTANT
Contact the pet travel agency in South Africa
at least 3-4 months before you are planning to depart. It takes 6-8 weeks to book quarantine space in Joburg, and 8-10 weeks in Cape Town. You need to have the quarantine booking confirmed, only when you have the dates confirmed, can you book an airline ticket for your cat. I haven't got the dates yet, so I haven't got a ticket yet. I still have 2 months to go though, so I think I'll be ok.

Ok, that's all for now. I'll keep this updated when I have the relevant info.
trapjaw

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals