Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Typoon 2006 new

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby Taffy » 09 Aug 2006, 12:12

david wrote:For those of you who use Google Earth, there's a really useful tool here:
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives ... torms.html

Excellent link, david. That is a very cool set of tools there, and one more reason why Google Earth is so great. Dragonbones - you'll be wanting to check this out asap - more power to your amateur forecasting!
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 09 Aug 2006, 16:12

Tigerman wrote:Dragonbones, I cannot see the graphic you posted... so, in case others cannot, here is another attempt:

That's funny, I can't see yours but I can see mine.
Here's a screencap of it, btw (non-updating)

As you can see, mine is bigger than yours. :wink:
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 09 Aug 2006, 19:40

They're calling for strong winds with this one... possibility of a day off tomorrow:

As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 09 Aug 2006, 19:43

Non-updating screencap above; the storm has shifted slightly north. Looks like work as usual tomorrow. :(
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 09 Aug 2006, 21:10

Just announced Taipei and Taoyuen both work tomorrow... I think we're in for a wet morning... :(
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby Elanna » 09 Aug 2006, 21:13

Just in the news here (FTV). Taipei, Taoyuan, Hsinchu and Miaoli have a free day tommorow.
Elanna
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Little Yellow Dog » 09 Aug 2006, 21:14

I thought I heard Taoyuan and Yilan are on for tomorrow. Not Taoyuan and Taipei...?
Little Yellow Dog
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Lord Lucan » 09 Aug 2006, 21:33

Nah they'll not give the day off for that. It'll just be really miserable and more dangerous than usual on the way to work tomorrow. I think a taxi will be the order of the day.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby taipei_swan » 09 Aug 2006, 21:36

Elanna wrote:Just in the news here (FTV). Taipei, Taoyuan, Hsinchu (Xinzhu) and Miaoli have a free day tommorow.

:s
Definitely no day off for Taipei...I flicked over to the local news just as the words "Taibei Shi ming shang ban shang ke" flashed across the screen. This was on Channel 52 a few minutes ago.
taipei_swan
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby frokky » 09 Aug 2006, 22:14

taipei_swan wrote:
Elanna wrote:Just in the news here (FTV). Taipei, Taoyuan, Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (Xinzhu) and Miaoli have a free day tommorow.

:s
Definitely no day off for Taipei...I flicked over to the local news just as the words "Taibei Shi ming shang ban shang ke" flashed across the screen. This was on Channel 52 a few minutes ago.

errrm.. WHY!!?
frokky

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan