Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taking Pets on the Train

Taking Pets on the Train

Postby dumas » 20 Sep 2007, 11:53

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=63196

The post above lists links to the Taiwan Rail site: http://service.tra.gov.tw/en/

but I can't find any info about traveling with pets, at least not in the English section, but some of the sites internal links were screwed kup.

Anyone know restrictions and rules? To be specific, I have a dog. He is currently 10kg. but is still a puppy and I expect he will end up about 20kg.

Any info would be appreciated.
dumas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby kate.lin » 20 Sep 2007, 15:01

Unfortunately, there is no information about it in English on Taiwan Rail website.
According to its Chinese website, you should download registration form and fill it out, and check the train schedule that meet your need, but you can only take 自強號 (Ziqiang Hao) No. 1013, 1019, 1025, 1031, 1061, 1010, 1012, 1016 and 1032.
When you and your doggie start your journey, you have put your doggie in a cage whose size limitation is 170cm by length, width and height. With registration form, you have go to register your doggie in cage in luggage office of Taiwan Rail Stations of Hualian, Luodong, Yilan, Taipei, Taoyuan, Zhongli, Xinzhu, Maoli, Fengyuan, Taichung, Zhanghua, Jiayi, Xinying, Tainan and Kaohsiung. And you only can pick it up at the abovementioned stations.

You probably need someone who can speak Chinese to help you with it.

Sorry...I am too sick to translate it well.
kate.lin
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby dumas » 20 Sep 2007, 15:20

Thanks. If I ever travel and get this sorted out I will post the details of my experience. If the limit is 170 cm in all directions, then anything smaller than a bear could travel.
dumas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby kate.lin » 20 Sep 2007, 15:24

Yes, 170cm, I checked it again. But the limitation of weight with doggie is 20kg. No Bears!
kate.lin

Postby Truant » 20 Sep 2007, 15:46

the 170cm would be cumulative ie. L + W + H, so I know for a fact our dog's crate is too big.
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Truant
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby dumas » 20 Sep 2007, 15:55

Truant wrote:the 170cm would be cumulative ie. L + W + H, so I know for a fact our dog's crate is too big.

So for example, a crate could be 100x40x30=170 cm?

that's not as big as I thought at first, and a strange way to calculate. I knew that 170x170x170 seemed to big to be true, and cubic volume is way too small to be true (5.539658256754463 x 5.539658256754463 x 5.539658256754463 = 170).
dumas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby kate.lin » 20 Sep 2007, 16:07

Truant wrote:the 170cm would be cumulative ie. L + W + H, so I know for a fact our dog's crate is too big.

Arh....Truant is right.

I need more coffee and Panadol. :oops:
kate.lin

Postby Truant » 20 Sep 2007, 16:44

I just guessed. It's the standard way they measure bags on Airlines too.
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Truant

Postby bobepine » 21 Sep 2007, 00:50

I just started a thread in Open with a similar question RE the HSR. I hadn't seen this thread. I guess a 42KG dog is a no go. That answers my question. :s
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Re: Taking Pets on the Train

Postby mukashi » 28 Jul 2011, 14:07

so going deeper into the topic... are cats easier to transport then?
any news about transporting them in the highway buses (like U-Bus), and High Speed Railway?

Agnes
mukashi
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals