Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

English teachers will soon need gov't licenses in Taibei...

Moderator: Tempo Gain

English teachers will soon need gov't licenses in Taibei...

Postby formosa » 16 Dec 2002, 12:43

English teachers will soon need gov't licenses in Taibei, according to today's TAIBEI TIMES. Click here for the story. Maybe the new councilwoman will read reactions here.....
formosa

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Bassman » 16 Dec 2002, 13:02

At last, more red tape which we have to find our way through.
Perhaps they should test the schools and not the teachers. Does she really think that teachers will go for this - NO WAY. You arrive in the country, go for a med. check, work permit paperwork, and then for the A.R.C, by that time your first visa for Taiwan is finished, you get your A.R.C just in time. Now, she says that they want to take up even more of our time just to pass some standards that she feels are important. Someone on a anti-foreigner crusade by the sounds of things.

Ok, test the schools, or insist on training after you're given a work permit and ARC.
Or let's send employers to classes about how to pay on time, treat teachers fairly, and not be complete jerks. Yes, an anti-jerk class for employers in Taiwan - Sounds like an idea :-)
Bassman
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby Comrade Stalin » 16 Dec 2002, 13:03

And what government body in Taipei is qualified to test foreigners? The same body that checks the spelling on Taipei street signs? Regardless, it's a *wonderful* idea. If passed, we can expect a further exodus of teachers and a BIG jump in tuition. Never let it be said that the Taiwanese don't know how to shoot themselves in the foot! :lol:
"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby Bassman » 16 Dec 2002, 13:04

Or, a higher rate of pay for those teachers lucky enough to pass these exams
Bassman

Postby Bassman » 16 Dec 2002, 13:08

blueface666 wrote:And what government body in Taipei is qualified to test foreigners? The same body that checks the spelling on Taipei street signs? Regardless, it's a *wonderful* idea. If passed, we can expect a further exodus of teachers and a BIG jump in tuition. Never let it be said that the Taiwanese don't know how to shoot themselves in the foot! :lol:

And what government body in Taipei is qualified to test foreigners?
Hope it's not the same group that writes the English for the drivers license test.
If passed, we can expect a further exodus of teachers and a BIG jump in tuition.
Yeah!!! Baby. I think I'll start jacking up my prices in advance.
Bassman

Postby almas john » 16 Dec 2002, 13:09

I wonder whether this proposal is more about having a go at foreigners rather than improving the standard of English. While I would have to say that there is a problem with substandard foreign teachers, the fault lies mostly with greedy Taiwanese bosses whose primary concern is raking in the dosh. Why do they hire crap teachers?? And if we are talking about crap teachers we need to start with Taiwanese teachers, both those in the buxiban and public school sectors. Many of them can't speak English to a half-way decent standard. "English Captain, but not as we know it."
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

Postby Alleycat » 16 Dec 2002, 13:17

The TT calls her a freshman, and too right.

This is her little project, is it?

Well, we'll see if she can convince other councillors, councillors who have many, many bushiban-owning constituents--owners who are not going to be happy about additional redtape, and not to mention the higher salaries they will need to pay to attract teachers from a much-reduced labor pool, etc

wwwwaaaaahhhahahaahahaaha

what a novice!
Alleycat
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Further exodus?

Postby almas john » 16 Dec 2002, 13:17

Boss Hogg,

You said "further exodus" of teachers. I wasn't aware that the number of teachers had declined; do you have info on this? I live in Jiayi and the number of foreigners has increased over the last five years. Many small cities that were once without big-noses now have several (usually South Africans).
almas john

Re: Further exodus?

Postby Bassman » 16 Dec 2002, 13:32

almas john wrote:Boss Hogg,

You said "further exodus" of teachers. I wasn't aware that the number of teachers had declined; do you have info on this? I live in Jiayi and the number of foreigners has increased over the last five years. Many small cities that were once without big-noses now have several (usually South Africans).

Hmmmm...... I think you'll find that I was merely quoting another poster. Have a read of the whole thread or even the quote box in my post and I think we'll find that it wasn't me who said anything about an exodus of teachers. You're right about the South African thing though, some I've met can barely speak English. That just shows how stupid the schools are.
Bassman

Postby Alleycat » 16 Dec 2002, 13:38

come now hogg boss
Alleycat

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan