Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Reform Jews interested in getting together in Taipei?

Reform Jews interested in getting together in Taipei?

Postby onlyconnect » 02 Sep 2014, 15:35

Hello, my name is Jonathan and I was wondering if there were any other Reform Jews living in Taipei who were interested in getting together to observe holidays and the occasional Shabbat. As there are no reform congregations in Taiwan, it would be enjoyable to form a community to share our culture and religion. I have prayer books and other materials that I could copy and share sections from. Please reply to this post if you're interested, thank you! #Reform Judaism; #Shabbat; #JewishHolidays; #JewsinTaipei
onlyconnect
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Reform Jews interested in getting together in Taipei?

Postby Zla'od » 04 Sep 2014, 11:39

I'm not Jewish, but if you start a group, I'll definitely visit.

For those who aren't aware, there seem to be two Jewish groups in Taipei--Dr. Einhorn's modern Orthodox group, and the Chabad center (which struggles to reach a minyan). I have often wondered why there is no Reform /Progressive group. I am told it is because liberals can happily attend Dr. Einhorn's group, whereas the reverse would not be true.
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Hokwongwei » 04 Sep 2014, 15:23

I think the real reason is just that there are so very few of us here. :s I'm a non-believer myself.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Sep 2014, 19:06

What's a reform Jew?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby jesus80 » 04 Sep 2014, 21:52

Is there some Jewish community somewhere in Yilan? I kinda remember I saw something suspicious over there like 2 years ago... :P
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Zla'od » 05 Sep 2014, 15:53

What's a reform Jew?

http://trymyrabbi.com/jewish-holidays/r ... ism-at-200

(In case you're joking, there's a joke in here too.)
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od

Postby Rocket » 05 Sep 2014, 15:59

Zla'od wrote:
What's a reform Jew?

http://trymyrabbi.com/jewish-holidays/r ... ism-at-200

(In case you're joking, there's a joke in here too.)

Nice link, Z.

This is great, I've believed this to be true for a long time:

Rabbi Milhander wrote: Now, I have always held the radical idea that Reform Judaism did not begin with Jacobson in Sessen. It did not begin with the philosophical foundations proposed by Mendelsohn a generation before Jacobson. It did not begin with Baruch Spinoza, the seventeenth century Dutch Jew whose heretical-for-his-time views of modern biblical criticism, using Euclidean methods to demonstrate a metaphysical concept of the universe with ethical implications, led to his excommunication in 1656. No, from my point of view, Reform Judaism began with Judaism itself. Yes, Abraham, Moses, the prophets, and later, the rabbis, were all good Reform Jews. Where do I get such a crazy notion?

In true rabbinic fashion, I have to answer that question with a question: What is it that Reform Judaism seeks to do? If you understand Reform Judaism as the attempt to apply Judaism to the world in which we live, then that is what Jews have always sought to do. That is until it really happened a few hundred years ago, when there was then a backlash against modernity, against enlightenment, against progress, and against the outside world. That backlash ultimately became what today we call Orthodoxy – that is, Orthodox Judaism as a movement along the lines of the Reform and Conservative Movements.

:bravo:
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 23 Sep 2014, 14:23

I'm in the Kaohsiung area still looking for any Jew.
Taiwan_Student
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby H5N1 » 23 Sep 2014, 21:58

Taiwan_Student wrote:I'm in the Kaohsiung area still looking for any Jew.

My heritage is complicated, but I qualify for membership in the tribe. You're not alone, friend.
Coooool water sandwich
H5N1

Postby Taiwan_Student » 26 Sep 2014, 14:18

H5N1 wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:I'm in the Kaohsiung area still looking for any Jew.

My heritage is complicated, but I qualify for membership in the tribe. You're not alone, friend.

Explain "complicated heritage" please. As far as I know I am alone. Nears self admitted Jew would be Tainan.
Taiwan_Student

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality