Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Re: Is Islam a religion of peace?

Postby OrangeOrganics » 22 Dec 2015, 10:08

[quote="Andrew0409"]One of the major problems I see with Islam not being able to transition well into modern democracy is that at the core is the fact that in Islam, God is the giver of laws, and men have only limited autonomy to implement and enforce God's laws. These laws, known as sharia, apply to all aspects of religious, political, social, and private life. Interpreted literally, they can clash with Western democratic ideals. An Islamic democracy has to navigate tensions created by Islam's traditional rules.

quote]

There is also no real space for science or reason in Islam. Everything is down to God's Will, Islamic scholars rejected Cause and Effect in teh 11th century.

Yes, Islam had a Golden Age of science and innovation, but people have to understand that this was before the current paradigm of literalism that has rejected reason for the past 900 years.
OrangeOrganics
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

In Taiwan since: 20 Feb 2010

Postby Zla'od » 22 Dec 2015, 15:17

Yes, the Islamic world is home to any number of abuses, such as the attacks on atheist bloggers in Bangladesh. Sharia, however, is not what you think it is. Most "Islamic" countries permit banking with interest, for example. Like the Torah, it's all in the interpretation, and the majority of Muslims tend to ignore the rules (e.g. on drinking) just as Catholics do with respect to canon law.

For the sake of comparison, the Buddhists have a good reputation, and yet are responsible for atrocities in Burma, Thailand, and Sri Lanka. Should we be treating Buddhism on a par with Naziism? Surely not--there has to be room for some nuance, or else we are all doomed and damned. Doesn't Islam deserve the same consideration as Buddhism (and the other religions)?
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby OrangeOrganics » 22 Dec 2015, 15:19

Zla'od wrote:Yes, the Islamic world is home to any number of abuses, such as the attacks on atheist bloggers in Bangladesh. Sharia, however, is not what you think it is. Most "Islamic" countries permit banking with interest, for example. Like the Torah, it's all in the interpretation, and the majority of Muslims tend to ignore the rules (e.g. on drinking) just as Catholics do with respect to canon law.

For the sake of comparison, the Buddhists have a good reputation, and yet are responsible for atrocities in Burma, Thailand, and Sri Lanka. Should we be treating Buddhism on a par with Naziism? Surely not--there has to be room for some nuance, or else we are all doomed and damned. Doesn't Islam deserve the same consideration as Buddhism (and the other religions)?

What you are saying is simply not true. Religions are not the same, they are sets of ideas with their own forms and concepts. Some religions and ideas are worse than others.
OrangeOrganics

Postby headhonchoII » 22 Dec 2015, 17:02

Yep, it's no use trying to make everything equivalent. Buddhism has Buddha, Christians have Christ and Islan has Mohammed. I know which two out of three that were the hippies.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Andrew0409 » 22 Dec 2015, 17:08

OrangeOrganics wrote:
Zla'od wrote:Yes, the Islamic world is home to any number of abuses, such as the attacks on atheist bloggers in Bangladesh. Sharia, however, is not what you think it is. Most "Islamic" countries permit banking with interest, for example. Like the Torah, it's all in the interpretation, and the majority of Muslims tend to ignore the rules (e.g. on drinking) just as Catholics do with respect to canon law.

What you are saying is simply not true. Religions are not the same, they are sets of ideas with their own forms and concepts. Some religions and ideas are worse than others.

You are talking about the actions of the followers of certain religions. If a Christian shot a man does that make Christianity evil? No. It was the action of a person. I want to separate the two as much as possible I want to get to the core beliefs of religion without the tainted actions of the followers of that religion. My question is still, Is Islam in it's core founding beliefs peaceful. For example, Christianity's foundation is the resurrection and the action and words of Jesus whether you believe he resurrected or not. His actions and words were peaceful, it was all love thy neighbor like you love yourself, give to the poor, help others, ect. But most of the actions of Christians today do not reflect that at all. In America, politicians hijacked Christianity and made it like if you're christian you must be against gays and abortion. Which is barely touched on in scripture. So you find me bash Christians more than Muslims most of the time, but I don't bash Christianity.
Andrew0409
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Zla'od » 22 Dec 2015, 17:39

Ask two Christians what the "core" of Christianity is, and you'll get two different answers (at least). Same with Islam. People find in this disparate mass of tradition whatever they want to find.

Head Honcho, what was that about the hippies? I'm not following.
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od

Postby OrangeOrganics » 22 Dec 2015, 17:41

Andrew0409 wrote:
OrangeOrganics wrote:

You are talking about the actions of the followers of certain religions. If a Christian shot a man does that make Christianity evil? No. It was the action of a person. I want to separate the two as much as possible I want to get to the core beliefs of religion without the tainted actions of the followers of that religion. My question is still, Is Islam in it's core founding beliefs peaceful. For example, Christianity's foundation is the resurrection and the action and words of Jesus whether you believe he resurrected or not. His actions and words were peaceful, it was all love thy neighbor like you love yourself, give to the poor, help others, ect. But most of the actions of Christians today do not reflect that at all. In America, politicians hijacked Christianity and made it like if you're christian you must be against gays and abortion. Which is barely touched on in scripture. So you find me bash Christians more than Muslims most of the time, but I don't bash Christianity.

No I'm not, im talking about ideas. Some ideas are more dangerous than others.
OrangeOrganics

Postby OrangeOrganics » 22 Dec 2015, 17:42

Zla'od wrote:Ask two Christians what the "core" of Christianity is, and you'll get two different answers (at least). Same with Islam. People find in this disparate mass of tradition whatever they want to find.

Look, what you are saying is not true. All religions are not basically the same. Find me one line of text in the Buddhist sutras that could evoke someone to kill an non-beliver.
OrangeOrganics

Postby OrangeOrganics » 22 Dec 2015, 17:51

All of the Abrahamic religions, if followed literally a pretty excellent recpies for misery. Just various degrees of misery
OrangeOrganics

Postby Andrew0409 » 22 Dec 2015, 18:09

Zla'od wrote:Ask two Christians what the "core" of Christianity is, and you'll get two different answers (at least). Same with Islam. People find in this disparate mass of tradition whatever they want to find.

Well those 2 Christians must not know any theology. The foundation of Christianity is the resurrection. Without going into a theology lesson here, basically a perfect being came on earth as a perfect man to take on all the sin's of imperfect man to be sacrificed. Also, to be Christ like is the core ideas and Jesus's words and actions leave little to interpretation.
Andrew0409

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality