Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

How to wash pesticides/herbicides off vegetables and fruit?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: How to wash pesticides/herbicides off vegetables and fru

Postby Chris » 14 May 2015, 14:56

Belgian Pie wrote:I stopped eating, this way I'm sure I don't get anything bad in my system ... wait, I drink beer, darn!

You can eat Belgian beer.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Belgian Pie » 14 May 2015, 16:34

Chris wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:I stopped eating, this way I'm sure I don't get anything bad in my system ... wait, I drink beer, darn!

You can eat Belgian beer.

It's a liquid meal ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Belgian Pie » 15 May 2015, 08:44

One thing I would not recommend eating ... bamboo shoots bought on the street from farmers in Fuxing, Sanmin, Sanxia or anywhere else. Why? Because farmers mostly use tons of herbicides and fertilizers to get them shoots. Do not care about soil conservation or nature.

If you can get 'wild' shoots from the forrest it's OK, no one meddles with those plants, but be sure to go and dig your own or know the person you can trust that says they are 'wild' shoots.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Ermintrude » 15 May 2015, 09:03

Washing up liquid and a brush. Didn't you people have mothers? :lol:
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby cyberguppy » 15 May 2015, 13:30

Yes - but wouldn't using washing up liquid could introduce a whole new host of chemicals and soap up a good meal? Not sure but not keen to try.

Also looking for quicker solutions faster than wash, brush and rinse rinse rinse. I am trying to win the award for most efficient bachelor too.
cyberguppy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Belgian Pie » 17 May 2015, 12:26

Paraquat is the trade name for N,N′-dimethyl-4,4′-bipyridinium dichloride, is the organic compound with the formula [(C5H4N)2]Cl2. It is classified as a viologen, a family of redox-active heterocycles of similar structure. This salt is one of the most widely used herbicides. It is quick-acting and non-selective, killing green plant tissue on contact. It is also toxic to human beings and animals. It is linked to development of Parkinson's disease.[5][6] The name is derived from the para positions of the quat ernary nitrogens. A variety of related compounds are used in textiles.

'bipyridinium' is probably a typo as it's printed in Taiwan! The internet doesn't know 'bipyridinium'

They use this to do that ...

On the public road too, no one cares if dogs are going into the weed and get it all over them, and no one cares about the fumes inhaled by passers-by!

BTW, enjoy your bamboo shoots!
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby cyberguppy » 24 May 2015, 13:49

Yikes.. no more of that in my diet.
cyberguppy

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ermintrude » 24 May 2015, 13:55

cyberguppy wrote:Yes - but wouldn't using washing up liquid could introduce a whole new host of chemicals and soap up a good meal? Not sure but not keen to try.

Also looking for quicker solutions faster than wash, brush and rinse rinse rinse. I am trying to win the award for most efficient bachelor too.

Well, you have friction, chemicals, dilution or removing the outer layer. What other solutions could there be?

You still have to get dirt, animal waste, bugs and polluted water off your organics.

Scrub and soap and rinse.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude

Postby PaMaFanAiFangBian » 24 May 2015, 14:04

cyberguppy wrote:Yes - but wouldn't using washing up liquid could introduce a whole new host of chemicals and soap up a good meal? Not sure but not keen to try.

Might I suggest you get yourself several girlfriends who can help you wash your vegs then.
If you say gullible slowly, it sounds like oranges
PaMaFanAiFangBian
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 09 Mar 2012

Re: How to wash pesticides/herbicides off vegetables and fruit?

Postby amayapaul » 19 Apr 2016, 18:12

We should clean vegetable before cooking. Vegetable like ladyfinger , cabbage we should keep this vegetable in water for 10 to 15 min.
amayapaul
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Health and Fitness