Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Yushan hike

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Yushan hike

Postby Inchhighj » 31 Dec 2013, 18:57

Hi,

I have permits for my wife and I to hike Yushan on the 7th January with an overnight stay at Paiyun and am trying to establish where I have to take my permits to get them stamped by the police. Does it need to be the police at Yushan park, And is it they that give me the other permit i seem to need? Also is there upto date conditions on snow cover on the mountain i.e. a webcam? is there somewhere i can buy a detailed map of the area (ordance survey equivalent).

I also searched taipei city high and wide to buy or rent crampons/ice axe incase they were neccessary but to avail :s

Im also having trouble notifying the paiyun lodge that we would need a meal and sleeping bag if possible?

Im currently in Taroko and plan on going over the cross island highway, can anyone advise on how to find out current road conditions? Someone told me today I would need snowchains??? I have a rented car and would probably need to buy these if that is the case.

Thanks in advance!
Inchhighj
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 18 Dec 2013

Re: Yushan hike

Postby Nuit » 01 Jan 2014, 00:08

if you do need snowchains (it is possible, on the highest stretch), the locals at Dayuling have them for rent - for a price, of course.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby tommy525 » 01 Jan 2014, 01:43

Isn't the lodge just a shack. Bring your own food and cook it kind of thing FAIK>
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 01 Jan 2014, 01:57

usually you could see the weather condition via a webcam here:
http://cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/webcam/

but it says it is under maintainance....

the lodge is no longer just a shack, but with the way they build things in Taiwan, I doubt it will be any warmer. They have sleeping bag at paiyun when I was there, but the bags don't seem to handle below 0 degrees very well.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Abacus » 01 Jan 2014, 19:30

tommy525 wrote:Isn't the lodge just a shack. Bring your own food and cook it kind of thing FAIK>

They spent almost 2 years rebuilding the lodge but I haven't been up there yet. The new Tianchi cabin on the Nenggao trail prepared a set meal for an additional cost and I thought I heard that they were going to do this at Yushan. I thought they usually closed the trail (or possibly the peak) every winter.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby Nuit » 19 May 2015, 12:29

Does anyone have a link for Yushan permits?
Isn't there some rule that if ARC/APRC holders summit mid-week, then permits are guaranteed? i.e. there's no lottery system.
It's raining again here.

Nuit

Postby hansioux » 19 May 2015, 13:38

Nuit wrote:Does anyone have a link for Yushan permits?
Isn't there some rule that if ARC/APRC holders summit mid-week, then permits are guaranteed? i.e. there's no lottery system.

last time I checked (last week), the link to the online permit application site is down.

well, maybe not down, but it says "Secure Connection Failed"

https://nv2.npa.gov.tw/NM103-604Client/
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Abacus » 19 May 2015, 13:42

Nuit wrote:Does anyone have a link for Yushan permits?

My understanding is that there are a number of foreigner permits reserved each night (non-weekend) and a foreigner should be able to get a permit easily midweek.
Abacus

Postby lostinasia » 19 May 2015, 17:35

hansioux wrote:well, maybe not down, but it says "Secure Connection Failed"

Isn't that kind of a given for most websites in Taiwan? (It's certainly true for my university's entire system.)
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Nuit » 20 May 2015, 14:27

It's raining again here.

Nuit

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Travel in Taiwan