Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Never been to ZhuiLu Trail? google did it for you...

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Never been to ZhuiLu Trail? google did it for you...

Postby Nuit » 17 Mar 2014, 13:01

That roped section up the hillside has been there for several years now. Takes you over an old landslide zone.
But yes Zhuilu was half-closed recently, i.e. you had to access from Swallows Grotto and then turn around after the cliff section. That was because of trail damage in an area like Steve4n's 3rd pic.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby hansioux » 17 Mar 2014, 14:10

lostinasia wrote:Wow - great pictures. And, um, I'm not entirely sure if I want to do this hike. Some of that looks a bit precipitous.

Steven's photos are amazing.

precipitousness is part of the allure, but it's not really that bad, as long as there's no crazy people trying to pass you at the cliff.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Novaspes » 25 Mar 2014, 00:11

On a related topic, does anyone here know how to apply for the permit to acces this trail?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Novaspes
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby Nuit » 25 Mar 2014, 08:23

Taroko Park HQ. Has to be done at least 2 days in advance, and probably more if you're thinking of hiking it on a weekend or holiday.
It's possible to apply on-line, but you used to have to enter a Taiwan Id number. That may have improved.

Although their service probably hasn't. They're a little slow, but they get there.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Mar 2014, 09:23

lostinasia wrote:...Some of that looks a bit precipitous.

Nah. Now precarious, yes.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 25 Mar 2014, 12:02

Novaspes wrote:On a related topic, does anyone here know how to apply for the permit to acces this trail?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Nuit is right. I was told that non-Taiwanese can email their request for a permit, but will still need to provide local contact information in case of an emergency.
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Steve4nLanguage
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

In Taiwan since: 15 Apr 2008

Postby HualienOutdoors » 25 Mar 2014, 14:29

Well, as of last month you can do it all online, even if you are a foreign passport holder. You HAVE TO use internet explorer to do it, need a Taiwanese name, ID, birthday, address and phone number for the contact person, and some patience trying to get the right info in the right boxes. The 'magic' email no longer works. If you have any issues you can PM me and I can try to help you out. It took a while to figure it out, but I think I have a handle on it now.

Just a tip, you can use the same 'contact person' for everyone on the trip. Good luck!
Hualian Outdoors
River Tracing, Hiking and Outdoor Adventure in the Hualian and Taroko Gorge National Park Areas
http://www.hualienoutdoors.org
Want to see what we do? Visit our youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HualienOutdoors
HualienOutdoors
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 25 Mar 2014, 14:51

HualienOutdoors wrote:Well, as of last month you can do it all online... You HAVE TO use internet explorer to do it

This IE only thing has happened to me several times when using Taiwanese websites. It seems like US sites can be properly accessed using just about any browser. There must be Taiwanese tech people that can produce websites that work on all the major browsers.... right?
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Steve4nLanguage

In Taiwan since: 15 Apr 2008

Postby hannes » 17 Jun 2016, 14:23

2nd hiker in two months falling of the cliffs...

I expect the authorities to either close the trail soon or install a barrier along the way.

太魯閣國家公園知名的錐麓古道,2個月來發生2起墜崖意外。4月16日一名黃姓工程師失足墜崖,昨天一名李姓男子又不慎墜谷身亡,2人墜崖位置相差不到400公尺。消防人員表示,由於該處無路徑,救援難度高,當下無法完成吊掛作業,今早將再派遣人員配合空勤總隊,完成吊掛工作。

66歲李姓男子昨天上午與兒子同行,不慎在錐麓古道2.6公里往西500公尺處滑倒墜谷。救難人員上午11點39分接獲訊息後立即整裝出發搶救,縣消防局同時出動空勤直升機及空拍機搜尋,直至下午4時許,在失足者的兒子提供墜落地點附近,尋獲該名墜崖男子陳屍於一山坳處,今天將於中橫公路找尋架設點垂降。

李姓男子在錐麓古道2.6公里往西500公尺處滑倒墜谷,消防人員尋獲時已死亡。 圖/消防局提供
分享
據了解,李男墜落處與2個月前黃姓工程師的失足地點,距離相差不到400公尺,是整段古道中最驚險壯觀的路段之一。太魯閣國家公園管理處表示,古道路寬平均僅90公分,部分路段距離谷底高度更超過700公尺,稍有不慎就會發生墜谷意外,許多遊客為了拍照,不顧身子露在懸崖外,十分危險。

太魯閣國家公園管處提醒,在攀爬時務必穿著具有抓地力的鞋子,並提高警覺注意安全,切勿貪圖美景靠近崖邊。應單手緊握安置在岩壁上的確保繩,即便是替別人拍照也要留意步伐,謹記自己是站在數百公尺高的懸崖邊,務必要以安全走完全程路徑為優先考量。

http://udn.com/news/story/7316/1767378-%E5%A4%AA%E9%AD%AF%E9%96%A3%E9%8C%90%E9%BA%93%E5%8F%A4%E9%81%93-2%E5%80%8B%E6%9C%882%E5%A2%9C%E5%B4%96
We have a new website: http://www.taiwaneverything.cc. Check it out!

Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. On a mobile device, just go to http://tit.com.tw/appdownload.htm to get to the download page for both systems. The phone version is a work in progress. Apologies for any bad user experience. :)
hannes
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby HualienOutdoors » 17 Jun 2016, 18:30

I was up there yesterday and passed these two just before it happened. (We were eating lunch at the moment of the fall) Perfect weather day, no wind, no rockfall and this accident makes no sense at all. They were taking some risks with photos, but nothing extreme. I certainly doubt they will change anything, and there is no need. In the last 10 years there have been no deaths to my knowledge and now two flukes in the past 2 months. The first one was in a place that you would have to be very careless/unlucky to fall off and this one makes no sense. I guess at the details are not in yet but it is a little weird. We didn't even know something had happened until we met the rescue crew coming up the trail an hour or two later. No one else on the trail. With care, that trail is no more dangerous than driving. Hope it doesn't get ruined.

On a side note it was pretty neat to see the copter flying in that part of the gorge. I wonder if those pilots love it or hate it when they get that call...
Hualian Outdoors
River Tracing, Hiking and Outdoor Adventure in the Hualian and Taroko Gorge National Park Areas
http://www.hualienoutdoors.org
Want to see what we do? Visit our youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HualienOutdoors
HualienOutdoors
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Travel in Taiwan