Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Highway 8 open? connecting Taichung to Yilan Via highway 7

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Highway 8 open? connecting Taichung to Yilan Via highway 7

Postby Guy1983 » 18 Apr 2015, 19:33

If you look on google maps you can see highway 7 goes through the valley following the river in Yilan valley.
Eventually you arrive at a round about go right you go on highway 8 that goes to Taichung City

Last time I tried this route halfway through in the middle of nowhereville they had a gate block with a guard standing duty only leting locals who live there pass due to landslide/construction this was last year anyone can confirm if this road is open?

any website to check top see if a road is currently open?

Last time I went left and had to go over the huge tall extremely steep mountain on the dangerous 1 lane road with traffic going both ways Plus its way out of the way and takes longer to get to Taichung

I would just go taipei-taoyuan-hsinchu but the stent from hsichu to Taichung is not a good flow/ with it getting confusing
and no clear direct road you end up following the 62 and when your road dead ends you end up going through farm country to find a path back to the 62 again its to bad they don't have a good direct road that doesn't dead end between Hsinchu and taichung for scooters Done that journey 10 + times and everytime I ended up taking a different path in the in betweens/dead ends/ no more roads for the 270ccc n below areas

So how about that highway 8? is it open? Would be a first for me going this route
Guy1983
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 2002

Re: Highway 8 open? connecting Taichung to Yilan Via highway 7

Postby Abacus » 18 Apr 2015, 23:02

Unlike the Southern Cross (Hwy 20) I don't even hear rumors that it is going to open but it would be great.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby tommy525 » 19 Apr 2015, 04:36

8, isn't that the East West Cross Island?

That road was severed near Kukuan. And I think it is permanently not reopening.

Too bad as it was really pretty. Goes past the big Dam there on its way to KuKuan from Lishan.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby tango42 » 19 Apr 2015, 13:18

The road from Lishan to/from Yillan is amazingly beautiful. I drive it every chance I get. Most recent was coming back from ChingJing in December. Try to be there before noon as the clouds usually come in around noon or early afternoon.

Wuling has a sufficient hotel in the park that is even pet friendly. But they had a food scare recently and shut down for awhile.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby Nuit » 19 Apr 2015, 18:00

I was told on the grapevine that it's 'close' to re-opening, i.e. maybe in the next couple of years if there's no typhoon-related issues. I think select folks are being let through, but that's all anecdotal.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Mucha Man » 19 Apr 2015, 23:30

Locals have been allowed through for a while. But it should not be reopened. Taiwan was permanently changed by 921 and Morakot. The land will never be stable in our lifetime in lots of areas.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby scomargo » 20 Apr 2015, 14:30

This is the highway disaster information website. I recommend bookmarking it.
http://bobe168.tw/
scomargo
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Postby Guy1983 » 20 Apr 2015, 23:47

I ended up taking the 8 left past the CPC heading towards hehuanshan
Did that route before and it got reallllly high and realllly cold

So I decided to venture the Fushuo farm road that goes into the 89

My impression was WOW! I can't imagine any road in Taiwan being
any more backroadish and dangerous with a current landslide That I drove over

After driving that crazy, but fun and beautiful fushuo road I felt like
There is no reason not to open that highway 8 up since theres NO WAY IN H8LL its any worse
then Fushuo road and most likely much better No one drives the FushuoFarm road/89 because you need
a motorcycle with decent clearance in some areas or 4x4 the 8 is more for everydayers and I'm guessing
they don't feel the 8 is safe enough for everydayers and I'm guessing everyone knows
Fushoufarms Road is just insane and do not attempt to try it so thats why its always open

I got some video of it

Guy1983
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 2002

Postby tommy525 » 20 Apr 2015, 23:52

8 near from LIshan to Kukuan, just as it nears Kukuan was carved out of a cliff face. I think that is one of the main problem sections after the 921 earthquake.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Abacus » 21 Apr 2015, 06:57

I rode the 89 on a scooter a month ago and it's really rough. But it isn't fair to compare the the 8 to the 89. The 89 is a county road that mostly only locals use but the 8 is a major highway and if it's open you are going to have very heavy traffic and people won't even know that it's bad until they get there. The other problem is that it's likely that there is still extensive roadwork being done which means several sections that might be one lane only or closed for hours at a time. That can be dealt with when only a couple hundred people can access the road and only a handful are on the road at any one time. If Hwy 8 was open to traffic then there would be 1000's everyday that wanted to drive it just to see it.

I continue to prefer that neither the 8 nor the 20 is open to personal use. Open both of them up to small minibus shuttles to keep traffic levels down but still allow access to the hiking and viewpoints.
Abacus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Travel in Taiwan