Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taiwan travel suggestions for a Dutch traveler?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Taiwan travel suggestions for a Dutch traveler?

Postby Romeo007 » 12 May 2015, 22:27

Hi All,

My first post here :) Lets celebrate with nice replys!

In november i will be in Taiwan for 8 days. Thinking of travel around, not only the bars of TPE. Would love to see the (for Dutchies) strange things that can only be in Taiwan. Do you have any suggestion for typical Taiwanese things a Dutch guy needs to visit??? :lol:

Thanks !!!
Romeo007
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: What should u do?

Postby jimipresley » 12 May 2015, 22:44

Find a cheapish hotel or hostel in Taoyuan. There will be so many wonderful things to explore on foot in the immediate vicinity, and it's the most beautiful and buzzing city in Taiwan. Plus there's free wifi at the airport, which is spectacular by international standards. If you want a change of scenery on the weekend, take a day trip into Sanchong, the jewel of Taipei County, and marvel at the wildlife. The party never stops there, either.

Oh, and you MUST visit Long Shan nightmarket. They have the best tea ladies. Only sixty years old but VERY experienced! :thumbsup: And you can have some bloke in a vest and blue slippers tell you to not take a picture of his yellow snake. Seriously. That yellow snake is LEGEND. You're going to have to go buy a hidden camera just to get a pic. Oh, endless thrills!
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001

Postby HenHaoChi » 12 May 2015, 22:49

Don't forget the bus ride into Xinzhuang, and a daytrip to Yingge.
HenHaoChi
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby Mucha Man » 12 May 2015, 23:02

Romeo007 wrote:Hi All,

My first post here :) Lets celebrate with nice replys!

In november i will be in Taiwan for 8 days. Thinking of travel around, not only the bars of TPE. Would love to see the (for Dutchies) strange things that can only be in Taiwan. Do you have any suggestion for typical Taiwanese things a Dutch guy needs to visit??? :lol:

Thanks !!!

First, get a Lonely Planet or Bradt guidebook for Taiwan. Both written by long term expat Taiwan residents. Then ask questions.

Btw, there's a temple in Kaohsiung in which Dutch admirals are deified. Dutch built wells are around too. You guys also taught the Taiwan how to make mortar with sticky rice and seashells. Good work. :thumbsup:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Chris » 12 May 2015, 23:10

Dutch forts in Tainan.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 13 May 2015, 01:29

Chris wrote:Dutch forts in Tainan.

I thought that was a typo, but yes, it's a fort, and well worth a visit.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby hannes » 13 May 2015, 09:19

Mucha Man wrote:First, get a Lonely Planet or Bradt guidebook for Taiwan. Both written by long term expat Taiwan residents. Then ask questions.

Or read Travel in Taiwan! :p

I agree with the M Man. Do your homework first and THEN ask {specific} questions. We get questions like "I am coming to Taiwan, where can I go?" quite often on our FB site and answering those questions is just time-wasting {often people don't even reply to answers or bother to say "thx"[I guess the shortest form of showing your appreciation]}, so I usually ask people to be more specific. General info is widely available in print and online. So if you want a good answer, ask a GOOD QUESTION!
We have a new website: http://www.taiwaneverything.cc. Check it out!

Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. On a mobile device, just go to http://tit.com.tw/appdownload.htm to get to the download page for both systems. The phone version is a work in progress. Apologies for any bad user experience. :)
hannes
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Re: Taiwan travel suggestions for a Dutch traveler?

Postby *monkey* » 13 May 2015, 10:11

There's a big concrete dyke along the Keelung (Jilong) river in Taipei.

Probably a few small holes in it that need plugging.
Floggings will continue until morale improves
*monkey*
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

Postby hansioux » 13 May 2015, 10:14

aside from the Dutch fort, take a boat ride through Sicao and Taijiang, where the Dutch lived and fought. Fort Anthonio (Hongmaocheng) in Tamsui is also a Dutch fort.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby HomestayTaiwan » 27 May 2015, 11:22

Tainan is the must-see place for you.
Aside from Fort Zeelandia and Fort Providentia, there exist still some historical sites from the Dutch ruling period.
Especially in the winding lanes of Anping, like Princess Victoria Tomb.
But according to my knowledge, it has nothing to do with Princess or Victoria. It's said belonging to a local lover of a Dutch general. :cool:
BM Homestay Taiwan is the best way to master Chinese!
http://Best-Mandarin.com
HomestayTaiwan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 25 May 2008

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Travel in Taiwan