Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Natural places worth visiting?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Natural places worth visiting?

Postby HenHaoChi » 24 Sep 2015, 08:12

Following...
HenHaoChi
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby Gonzalez » 27 Sep 2015, 01:14

Very nice places to see. I have checked many of them on Google. Thanks for the advices.
Gonzalez
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby smileymiley » 05 Nov 2015, 10:53

I do alot of hiking and several mountain marathons. Taiwan looks an amazing place to explore but having researched some of the hikes many seem to require permits. However I'm the sort of person who will wake up feeling good and decide to do a long run/hike with little preparation. I was wondering how rigorously is the permit system policed? I'm not talking about the high mountain stuff where I realise permits and guides would be necessary but I was looking at a 10-15km coastal route - is a permit really necessary?
smileymiley
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Abacus » 05 Nov 2015, 11:09

smileymiley wrote:I do alot of hiking and several mountain marathons. Taiwan looks an amazing place to explore but having researched some of the hikes many seem to require permits. However I'm the sort of person who will wake up feeling good and decide to do a long run/hike with little preparation. I was wondering how rigorously is the permit system policed? I'm not talking about the high mountain stuff where I realise permits and guides would be necessary but I was looking at a 10-15km coastal route - is a permit really necessary?

What coastal route? Most dayhikes don't require an advance permit.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby smileymiley » 05 Nov 2015, 11:31

My mistake I was getting confused as I was looking at the Qufengbi Coastal Trail and Walami trail thinking they both required permits (having re-read the article QFB does not). However with the example of the The Walami Trail which requires a permit - is this necessary?
smileymiley

Postby jesus80 » 05 Nov 2015, 12:23

You need one for Walami, but it´s easy to get at the tourist office.
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby smileymiley » 05 Nov 2015, 14:56

Is it worth risking not getting a permit?
smileymiley

Postby jesus80 » 05 Nov 2015, 18:40

I don´t think that it's a problem, but again, it´s cheap, it´s not difficult to get it, so... why don´t you just pay and support a bit the work for maintaining it?
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Nuit » 05 Nov 2015, 21:20

I think the Walami permit is free, and can be got on the day. Will only take you 5-10 mins.
You could go up there without it, but you'll get hassle if you run into a ranger (which is unlikely IMO).
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Abacus » 06 Nov 2015, 08:28

I would say that as a rule of thumb day hiking permits are free and can be applied for on the day of the hike if they are needed at all.

Some exceptions of course apply

Really popular hikes that have a daily quota to reduce impact like the Zhuliu Old Trail in Taroko - I think it is really cheap/free but it is a really popular hike and you need an advance permit. http://opositlife.blogspot.tw/2013/09/h ... trail.html

Another example is the Alanyi Coastal Trail in southern Taiwan that goes through aboriginal land. This is a very popular dayhike and they require you to hire an aboriginal guide (3000NT for a group of up to 20). http://theworldisnotthatbig.com/2015/05 ... il-taiwan/

Other areas might require you to get a police permit on the day of your hike. Typically these are not limited and is nothing more than filling out a form for a few minutes. Beidawushan is an example even if you only want to dayhike part of the trail.

I just read a blog about a couple that almost got turned back dayhiking the Walami Trail because they forgot their permit in their scooter. 5 years ago when I hiked the trail they didn't require this. I tried to get an overnight permit but they were overbooked already and they didn't issue a dayhike permit. There was a ranger in the parking lot checking license plate registration at 5pm when I returned.
Abacus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Travel in Taiwan