Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Where to take teenageer?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Where to take teenageer?

Postby Bree » 14 Apr 2016, 01:53

I will have my 14yo daughter with me this summer. Does anyone have any good ideas for places to visit/see for this difficult-to-please age?
User avatar
Bree
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 16
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 07 Apr 2016, 00:54
Location: Austin TX & Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby super_lucky » 14 Apr 2016, 12:05

Bree wrote:I will have my 14yo daughter with me this summer. Does anyone have any good ideas for places to visit/see for this difficult-to-please age?


Not sure if she's the typical 14-year-old, but Taipei is loaded with shopping options. Malls, more malls, street markets, entire streets devoted to particular items (shoes, computers, cameras, etc). Ximendeng is the first place we brought my friend's 15-year-old daughter and it was like dropping the kid off at school. "See ya! Meet you back here at 10:00 p.m." She wasn't interested in anything other than shopping. Completely nonplussed by all the other stuff like the 101 Observatory. Oh, except for the selfies.

All the main spots to see are listed in every travel guide (101, Yangming Shan, Danshui, etc) and I suppose it could go either way.

If she's into the outdoors, so many hiking and biking options. It might help if you listed some of her interests so people can chime in with suggestions.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 16:15
Location: Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby hannes » 14 Apr 2016, 12:16

super_lucky wrote:
Bree wrote:I will have my 14yo daughter with me this summer. Does anyone have any good ideas for places to visit/see for this difficult-to-please age?


Not sure if she's the typical 14-year-old, but Taipei is loaded with shopping options. Malls, more malls, street markets, entire streets devoted to particular items (shoes, computers, cameras, etc). Ximendeng is the first place we brought my friend's 15-year-old daughter and it was like dropping the kid off at school. "See ya! Meet you back here at 10:00 p.m." She wasn't interested in anything other than shopping. Completely nonplussed by all the other stuff like the 101 Observatory. Oh, except for the selfies.

All the main spots to see are listed in every travel guide (101, Yangming Shan, Danshui, etc) and I suppose it could go either way.

If she's into the outdoors, so many hiking and biking options. It might help if you listed some of her interests so people can chime in with suggestions.


Ximending, definitely (there are tattoo parlors too... :wink: ). East District, lots of department stores and hang-out places around the ViewShow Cinema complex. Beach-wise, Fulong and Wai'ao? Does she like DIY? Here are some options: https://play.niceday.tw/category/13 (sorry, only in Chinese).
We have a new website: http://www.taiwaneverything.cc. Check it out!

Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. On a mobile device, just go to http://tit.com.tw/appdownload.htm to get to the download page for both systems. The phone version is a work in progress. Apologies for any bad user experience. :)
User avatar
hannes
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:12



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby tango42 » 14 Apr 2016, 14:05

Get her into a part-time Chinese Mandarin language course with others her own age to keep her partially busy and maybe meet some people.

Check websites like the American school and European School for summertime activities that she may be able to join. Some of them may not be just for the students but might be a good idea of something to do.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: 02 Mar 2005, 16:46
Location: Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby Bree » 14 Apr 2016, 21:27

Thanks for some great ideas. I think a part-time language school is excellent. She's been resistant to learning her whole life. I've been thinking about what she's into and what she isn't and I brainstormed some good ideas to lookup. Skateparks? Mother-daughter matching tatoos.. hahaha
I'd like to curb the shopping as I'm quitting my dayjob to become a digital nomad. I see that she isn't legal to work until she turns 15. What she needs is a JOB!
Def beaches.
User avatar
Bree
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 16
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 07 Apr 2016, 00:54
Location: Austin TX & Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby super_lucky » 14 Apr 2016, 23:09

Bree wrote:Thanks for some great ideas. I think a part-time language school is excellent. She's been resistant to learning her whole life. I've been thinking about what she's into and what she isn't and I brainstormed some good ideas to lookup. Skateparks? Mother-daughter matching tatoos.. hahaha
I'd like to curb the shopping as I'm quitting my dayjob to become a digital nomad. I see that she isn't legal to work until she turns 15. What she needs is a JOB!
Def beaches.


Let the kid learn for herself? Maybe ask her what she might want to do?
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 16:15
Location: Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby ranlee » 06 May 2016, 12:22

Bree wrote:Thanks for some great ideas. I think a part-time language school is excellent. She's been resistant to learning her whole life. I've been thinking about what she's into and what she isn't and I brainstormed some good ideas to lookup. Skateparks? Mother-daughter matching tatoos.. hahaha
I'd like to curb the shopping as I'm quitting my dayjob to become a digital nomad. I see that she isn't legal to work until she turns 15. What she needs is a JOB!
Def beaches.


Also look into Mandarin Daily News on Roosevelt Blvd between Guting and CKS Memorial Hall MRTs. They do summer programs specifically for children with foreign passports.

You can also start looking into summer day camps for her as well. Others have mentioned the European and American school, those are good places to start if you want to find her a more English speaking program. However, if you want her to learn a little Chinese, try to throw her in the mix with the locals.

Ximending and shopping can only go as far as one or two weeks. What you going to have her do for the rest of the time there? Send her off to class for a few hours of the day so you can digital nomad away!

If she likes skateboarding, there's a skate park right next to the Huashan Cultural Park (which is next to Guang Hua Digital Plaza).....near Zhongxiao Xinsheng MRT.
User avatar
ranlee
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: 27 Dec 2012, 09:14
Location: Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby Bree » 08 May 2016, 22:37

thanks ranlee, I'm looking into getting the newspaper here in Texas. I love that it is also in bopomo. It looks like we aren't going until October now, so the summer classes will have to be here :(
User avatar
Bree
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 16
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 07 Apr 2016, 00:54
Location: Austin TX & Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby Chris » 08 May 2016, 23:37

Do you have friends or relatives here with teenagers? She may want to hang around with kids her age and make friends. Maybe there are clubs or outings for teenagers.
User avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 16069
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Taipei



Re: Where to take teenageer?

Postby ranlee » 09 May 2016, 00:28

Bree wrote:thanks ranlee, I'm looking into getting the newspaper here in Texas. I love that it is also in bopomo. It looks like we aren't going until October now, so the summer classes will have to be here :(


Mandarin Daily News is still there and may have classes all year round, except they may be smaller. Still worth a look!

http://www.mdnkids.com/english_hp/
User avatar
ranlee
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: 27 Dec 2012, 09:14
Location: Taipei



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Return to Travel in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests