Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Maokong

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Maokong

Postby Joshing » 21 Apr 2016, 15:24

What can you do in Maokong other than the gondola up to Maokong and the views you can enjoy from the gondola?

Maokong is famous for its tea but its not like you can go around the various tea fields and sample the teas at the farms as you would with a winery tour.

How long will it take to walk around to the various points of interest at Maokong? Out of the different hiking trails, which one would you recommend and how long does it take to walk those trails?

When you travel up to Maokong via the gondola, should I get off at Zhinan Temple station and go see the Zhinan Temple too? Is there anything unique or special about that temple that makes it different from all the other various temples in Taipei?

And, if you do get off at the Zhinan station and want to see Maokong too, do you go back and wait for the gondola or do you walk up there? If you use the gondola, do you have to pay again to use the gondola from the Zhinan station to the Maokong station?

And, has anybody visited the Three stone Teapot Museum? Is it worth going there when it seems like its in the opposite direction of most of the other points of interest in Maokong?
Joshing
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Maokong

Postby Abacus » 21 Apr 2016, 16:43

If you are going on a weekend then you should expect to wait to get onto the gondola. If you get off at Zhinan Temple I would expect to wait for awhile getting back on.

You can hike to the Silver Stream Waterfall and Temple. The route is much easier in Richard's book but the blog link shows an alternate and quite difficult route. https://taiwandiscovery.wordpress.com/2 ... -the-city/
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby hannes » 21 Apr 2016, 18:25

If you want to go for a walk, here is a little video about how you get from Chengchi University to Zhinan Temple and from there further up to the tea house area.

I think Zhinan Temple is quite interesting and you get good views over Taipei from there. It's right beside the gondola station, so getting there is easy. I like to walk in the Maokong area, lots of trails, but I usually avoid the places that tourists usually go, like the tea houses. Perhaps on a weekday in the evening it can be nice, drinking tea and looking down at Taipei.
We have a new website: http://www.taiwaneverything.cc. Check it out!

Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. On a mobile device, just go to http://tit.com.tw/appdownload.htm to get to the download page for both systems. The phone version is a work in progress. Apologies for any bad user experience. :)
hannes
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby Incubus » 22 Apr 2016, 11:27

Most of the trails in the Maokong area are paved, and I hate that. When I go observe nature I want to walk on a dirt trail, not hard cement. Thankfully, you can still do that by going up the backside of Maokong via the Silver Stream Waterfall (銀河洞) that Abacus mentioned. Just take the MRT to Xindian and then take a cab to the trailhead (less than $200 if memory serves). It's about an hour hike to Moakong gondola station. If it's a clear day, get off at the Zhinan Temple Station and hike up the small peak behind it. There's a great lookout platform at the top. When you head down the mountain, don't worry about not being able to get an empty carriage at Zhinan Temple. The station operator will phone Maokong station to inform them that there're passengers waiting and they'll send down an empty carriage for you.
Incubus
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Travel in Taiwan