Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Green Island questions,help please.

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Green Island questions,help please.

Postby Novaspes » 19 Dec 2012, 10:12

tuosi wrote:I am planning to go to Green Island halfway January. I would like to know whether anyone knows the ferry schedule during that time. This is especially important as I would like to know whether it's possible to take the early-morning train from Hualian to Taidong and still catch the earliest ferry (On Sunday or Monday).
I have checked the web, but only found apparently non-working Chinese websites. The travel agency Green Island Adventures does not want to give me the schedule before I pay for the trip. Really strange, as I heard they were customer-friendly and helpful.

From what I remember, you should be able to do that. I'm sorry I don't have a detailed schedule.
I would suggest you give a call to the ferry company directly (or have a Taiwanese friend do so for you). The visitor center is also an option ( +886-672-510).
Novaspes
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby Nuit » 19 Aug 2015, 23:50

The Taidong ferries that run to Green Island - is there space to sit outside & are you allowed?
Can't stand enclosed boats, need the fresh air.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby hannes » 20 Aug 2015, 07:18

Nuit wrote:The Taidong ferries that run to Green Island - is there space to sit outside & are you allowed?

The ferry to Lanyu has outside seating, guess it should be the same for Green Island. Space is usually quite limited so line up early to get onboard first.
We have a new website: http://www.taiwaneverything.cc. Check it out!

Read about traveling in Taiwan in Travel in Taiwan. Free online PDF version at http://www.tit.com.tw. Also, visit the Travel in Taiwan fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/taiwantravelmag for all sorts of things related to Taiwan travel. Travel in Taiwan is also available as a free app for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android devices. On a mobile device, just go to http://tit.com.tw/appdownload.htm to get to the download page for both systems. The phone version is a work in progress. Apologies for any bad user experience. :)
hannes
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby jamezku » 20 Aug 2015, 08:19

My friend says it's best to visit before October, as the tides rise and wind blows harder.

Let us know how it goes!

Might visit soon :-)

:bravo:
jamezku
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 12 Jun 1982

Postby SloanRanger » 24 Aug 2015, 14:50

Nuit wrote:The Taidong ferries that run to Green Island - is there space to sit outside & are you allowed?

I took the ferry a few years ago and stood out on deck for the whole crossing. There wasn't much in the way of formal seating but being out on deck didn't seem to be a problem. A school of dolphins swam alongside the ferry for most of the crossing and the weather was sunny so it was a really good, memorable trip. There was only a few people outside enjoying though, the majority of passengers sat in the main cabin watching a soap opera on tv.
SloanRanger
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Nuit » 30 Aug 2015, 19:27

Ferry out, very calm crossing but lots of people throwing up. Rear outside standing area was open, and lots of people were out there (some of them, vomiters). Return crossing was rainy & windy, choppy enogh for them to close the back doors and keep us all inside. Far less sickness on that return leg though, for some reason, even though the boat was rolling a bit.

Green Island itself :
Scooter hires were all $600/day by the harbour, but a 10 min walk into town got me a $400 deal.
(edit - Kenda Motors 0937-600780)

The large pool below the lighthouse was great for my kid learning to snorkel. There's a surprising variety of sea-life in there: fish, crabs, even a 2 foot long eel.

Campsite is nice and quiet, $400/day each, then $200 for each extra day. Large airy a-frames with sea-views. Saw 1 other camper in 3 nights, so the place is seriously underused. A campsite swimming pool is there but long drained dry with cracked tiles. Also, there's only cold running water - hot showers have to be taken at the Zhaori Hot Springs just down the road.

Chained Sika deer outside restaurants: they got to stop doing that.

@ the 'Jail-themed' shop with the slogan "FUCK! So Hot!" plastered outside - thanks for letting me hear my 8-yr old say the F-word for the first time. I swerved an explanation.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit

Postby jamezku » 31 Aug 2015, 09:19

Some of my friends tell me it's better to go before November, is that the case?
jamezku

Postby SloanRanger » 02 Sep 2015, 00:11

Probably. It will be warmer and less windy. Maybe you could go and report back.
SloanRanger

Postby jamezku » 22 Sep 2015, 11:56

SloanRanger wrote:Probably. It will be warmer and less windy. Maybe you could go and report back.

Affirmative :cool:
jamezku

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Travel in Taiwan