I love Taiwan

Forum rules
Try using the YouTube BBcode when you post the video on the site, simply enter: [YouTubeBB3]URL to Video[/YouTubeBB3] or try [flv]URL to Video[/flv]

I love Taiwan

Postby Adam_CLO » 25 Apr 2012, 09:13

Here's a video that's been going viral (it was 8000 views yesterday, over 50 000 today). Seems that a local foreigner is on a mission to post a huge picture board on Taipei 101. What do you think of his project?

Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Re: I love Taiwan

Postby the bear » 25 Apr 2012, 09:22

I stopped watching right at "you all know what double ten is right? It's Taiwan's birthday."

epic epic fail.

plus all those iconic images of Taiwan? Lantern festival, Yanshui fireworks, night markets....they are no longer iconic because everyone uses them all the time.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

25 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby bobk49 » 25 Apr 2012, 10:18

I think it is a BRILLIANT idea and my hats off to Shaun.Every city around the world has iconic images and promotes them.What would Hong Kong be without it's skyline,New York without Broadway or the Empire State Building,London without Big Ben or London Bridge,Paris without the Eiffel Tower or The Louvre.Taiwan is still relatively unknown to most of the world outside of Asia and any PR can only make it a global destination.My video will follow shortly and I will bang the drum with all my friends to help Shaun achieve his goal.
bobk49
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby tango42 » 25 Apr 2012, 14:18

Seems the title should be "I love Taichung".

Same old theme done a million times before which doesn't match the opening Einstein quote referring to "idea is not absurd".

The main theme is standing next to a statue in an upscale neighborhood on a clean street with no scooters that looks nothing like the vast majority of Taiwan. The video clips are much too clean an organizied to reflect to the real Taiwan which makes it seem to be some type of advertisement or class project. Video doesn't really give a good idea about Taiwan. Something in my gut tells me there are ulterior motives that I didn't spend much time thinking about as they will probably come out eventually. I doubt that the guy who only gets a few people to say "I love Taiwan" has the money to put the picture on 101 building.

Didn't really have a good feeling about the whole thing.

On the flip side, one of my Taiwan friends loves it, but she loves just about anything that includes a waiguoren.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 25 Apr 2012, 14:19

Eight years + Painfully awful Chinese + Useless plan = I LOVE SELF PROMOTION

This post was recommended by ichbinjenny (25 Apr 2012, 15:55)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby bobk49 » 25 Apr 2012, 15:50

A quote............."My haters are my motivators"..................Shaun take note...................
bobk49

Postby Indiana » 25 Apr 2012, 16:14

Sponsored by the government perhaps? I can't imagine anyone doing this on their own for the sake of it...it's so cliche.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 25 Apr 2012, 16:21

haters gonna hate. the idea is trite and contrived but people love that shit, and locals get warm and gooey inside when people profess love for the island so it isn't a bad idea. Original? No. Everything down to the music is played the F out, but hey, it looks like it is catching momentum online so I guess his self-promotion as some here bemoan is working.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 25 Apr 2012, 16:33

Enjoyed his Putonghua. Made me realize mine isn't so bad.

Clean vid, reasonable editing.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

9 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 25 Apr 2012, 16:45

Deuce Dropper wrote:haters gonna hate. the idea is trite and contrived but people love that shit, and locals get warm and gooey inside when people profess love for the island so it isn't a bad idea.

Yeah...it was definitely created with a Taiwanese audience in mind. He did a good job at that actually.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

4 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to YouTube and Other Video Clips