Honda Fit

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Honda Fit

Postby tonyp747 » 19 Jun 2012, 06:12

Anyone think this is a good buy? Looking to purchase a 2nd car for my wife, or any other car out there around same price that are better?
tonyp747
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Honda Fit

Postby sulavaca » 19 Jun 2012, 06:41

I mention the Fit on http://actaiwan.com/taiwans_top_cars.php

Yes, it's an excellent small hatch overall. A little noisy at speeds, due to minimal sound proofing, which keeps the weight down, but good overall.
It maximises interior space, better than any other small hatch around, and has enough power for most types of driving. It's a little pricey on the used market, due to its demand and that its one of the latest small car models out there.

In fact, I like the Fit so much, that I'd be willing to purchase one. Or should I say almost be willing to purchase one.
It's a close call, as I love the Nissan Tiida. The Tiida has super comfy seats, a large interior, good luggage capacity, decent power, an excellent stereo and reasonable economy. It's reliable and parts and service are cheap. All of this, and the fact that Nissan oddly maintains a stronger depreciation rate over the first four years than Honda, means that a good quality used model is almost a no brainer. With a budget of around 350,000NT, a very nice Nissan Tiida can be yours.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Invisimind » 24 Jun 2012, 18:57

I second sulavaca's comment of the Fit being an "excellent small hatch overall."

The size of the car is perfect for Taiwan, unless you have five kids or prefer not to squeeze through the side streets and alleys of Taipei, and throughout Taiwan.

Before purchasing a Fit, I test drove and compared it to the Mazda 3, Toyota Yaris and Nissan Tiida. Each of the four cars had their advantages, but when considering the entire package, the Fit won out.

It handles well (for an economy car), the fuel economy is good, and the manumatic shifter (S model) comes in handy when driving on winding mountain roads.

One of the most important features (for me) of the Fit is its cargo space. For example, I can fit two bicycles in the back. The rear seats fold in several different ways depending on whether your cargo is tall, long, or wide.

With that said, it is a typical economy-level car. If you’re looking for plush comfort, rapid acceleration, or isolation from external noise, you won’t be happy. However, if you want an economical, reliable car and don’t want to spend too much, you can’t go wrong with a Fit.
Invisimind
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby veilside » 22 Jul 2012, 03:42

I would just get a Corolla because Fit for its size is not very good on gas in the city and just ok on highway.
veilside

Postby maunaloa » 23 Jul 2012, 01:21

The power curve of the Fit is very narrow.... the clutch takes a deft touch.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 23 Jul 2012, 07:12

Clutch? Clutch?

What planet you from, Hawai'i boy?

Who buys a manual in Taiwan? I would guess, from your name alone, that you might be the only one.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby lancepetrosky » 31 Aug 2012, 17:15

I think it's a good car! I've seen some of these with some modification - the car really looks good when it is sitting low with nice set of wheels. Try looking some body kits for this one...
lancepetrosky

Postby sulavaca » 01 Sep 2012, 22:29

veilside wrote:I would just get a Corolla because Fit for its size is not very good on gas in the city and just ok on highway.

That's fine as long as one wishes to sacrifice leg room and luggage space.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

4 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 02 Sep 2012, 01:10

urodacus wrote:Clutch? Clutch?

Q: What planet you from, Hawai'i boy?
A: Planet Hawai'i. Things are different on each Island. The Fit I drove was around Hilo and the Hamakua Coast. No traffic jams, expensive gas, clutch good. On Oah'u, a CVT would be good on anything with an engine and wheels. I'd love an Aprilia 800, thank you. Or an Osprey tilt-rotor.

I rented a Yaris last week around Philly.... wow! Hands down better than the Fit. MUCH quieter, mpg just as good, handled better, ergos better. After driving the Yaris for ~1000km (city, slab, hills) I would never buy a Fit.
maunaloa

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 02 Sep 2012, 08:39

We're ditching our vitz for a Fit. The Vitz has 120,000 km but no guts and no suspension damping at all, which is understandable from a 15 year old car with a 956 cc engine...

BUt the main reason for changing is the Fit has twice the luggage capacity and actually sits four adults in comfort, not to mention much more torque and power from the 1.5 L engine.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles